Did you know that every quarter the Bucks County Area Agency on Aging publishes a quarterly newsletter for seniors and families caring for aging residents? If you did not receive a copy you can download the Winter 2018-2019 issue here. Instead is news and updates from the County on senior issues including:
COMMUNITY HEALTHCHOICES (CHC) is Pennsylvania’s mandatory managed care program for dually eligible individuals and individuals with physical disabilities — serving more people in communities, giving them the opportunity to work, spend more time with their families, and experience an overall better quality of life. CHC will improve services for hundreds of thousands of Pennsylvanians.
If you or a loved one lives in Bucks County then you can benefit from the Healthy Steps for Older Adults (HSOA) is available throughout the county. Below is more information:
• HSOA is an evidence-based program.
• HSOA is held for 2 hours once a week for 2 weeks in groups of 10-30 people.
• It emphasizes an increased awareness of risks for falls and introducing methods to reduce falls.
• Workshop 1 is the educational piece.
• Workshop 2 involves physical skills screening to find out participants fall risk. Teaches the group exercises to help with balance, strength, flexibility, and endurance.
Pennsylvania is one of the states with the highest populations of seniors. Locally in the Bucks, Montgomery and Philadelphia areas there are many activities and programs to keep older adults safe. Depending on many factors a senior can get to a stage in life where it is not healthy for them to be at home alone. These things include mobility (inside and outside the home), proper nutrition, mental health, medication management and more. A major factor that is often overlooked is the need for humans to socialize. Socialization is good for the spirit, and for some individuals it is a vital part of their life.