If you or a loved one lives in Bucks County then you can benefit from the Healthy Steps for Older Adults (HSOA) is available throughout the county. Below is more information:
• HSOA is an evidence-based program.
• HSOA is held for 2 hours once a week for 2 weeks in groups of 10-30 people.
• It emphasizes an increased awareness of risks for falls and introducing methods to reduce falls.
• Workshop 1 is the educational piece.
• Workshop 2 involves physical skills screening to find out participants fall risk. Teaches the group exercises to help with balance, strength, flexibility, and endurance.
Project MEDS (Medication Education Designed for Seniors) Available throughout the county.
• A free fun educational seminar that lasts about an hour.
• Peer presenters will entertain the audience with the do’s and don’ts of medication and alcohol use.
• Audience members receive a free bag of health and wellness resource material and items at the end.
My Life, My Health (Chronic Disease Self-Management Program and Diabetes Self-Management Program)
• This workshop comes in 2 different versions. Chronic Disease Self-Management (CDSMP) is for anyone with a chronic condition (arthritis, pain, obesity, diabetes, cancer, COPD, stroke, asthma, heart disease, anxiety, etc.).
The Diabetes Self-Management Program (DSMP) is for anyone with Diabetes.
• This is an evidence-based program written by Stanford University.
• It’s offered for 2 ½ hours once a week for 6 weeks.
• My Life, My Health teaches participants the tools they need to overcome the physical, mental and emotional
problems caused by chronic conditions or Diabetes.
• Our discussions include managing symptoms, working with a healthcare team, problem-solving, how to handle difficult emotions, how to relax, how to manage fatigue and pain, effective communication, getting a good night’s sleep, problem-solving, setting weekly goals, medication “how to”, eating well and increasing activity.
To attend or schedule one of the above programs at your facility, please contact:
Amanda at the Bucks County Area Agency on Aging, 267-880-5744.